The Employment Process
The process used throughout the school district to select and hire new employees generally follows these steps:
Step 1: When a position becomes available, it is posted to the vacancy list maintained on the Transylvania County Schools website. Vacancy announcements generally include a short description of the position, the location of the position, minimum qualifications for the position (such as licensure requirements), and the name and email address of the point of contact for questions regarding the vacancy. Under some circumstances, vacancies may also be listed in other media outlets, such as large-market newspapers and online classified advertisements.
Step 2: As they are submitted, applications are reviewed in consideration for the vacancy. As soon as you submit your application in Applitrack, your materials are available for review by the school's leadership or the district's leadership working to fill that vacancy. It is not necessary to email or send your resume or cover letter to the vacancy's contact as they already have all that is needed from your online application file.
Step 3: Following the review of applications, selected candidates are invited to sit for individual interviews for the position. Interviews are most commonly conducted by an interview team that includes the school's principal or other immediate supervisor, a central office administrator, and other representatives (teachers, parents, or others).
Step 4: Using input from the interview team, candidates are ranked in order of preference for the position. If a suitable candidate to fill the position is not identified during the interviews, then the vacancy is re-posted. Additional applications are received for review, a second round of interviews is conducted, and the cycle repeats until a suitable candidate is identified for the position.
Step 5: Employment references provided by the top candidate(s), including the candidate's most recent supervisor or employer, are checked.
Step 6: The top candidate for the position is contacted and extended an initial employment offer. This initial offer is contingent on several factors such as approval from the Board of Education and suitable results on further candidate screenings, including criminal background checks.
Step 7: The Human Resources Office will contact the candidate after they have accepted the initial employment offer to schedule a time to complete several routine pre-employment tasks and to gather necessary documentation from the candidate.
Step 8: Pending suitable results on criminal background checks and other applicable screenings, the candidate is formally recommended for employment to the Board of Education. Once approved by action of the Board, the candidate is officially employed to fill the position.
Tips and Suggestions
- Applicants should observe several tips as they work toward employment with the district, including:
- Make sure that your online employment application is complete and accurate. Missing materials (such as transcripts, Praxis scores, or licensure information) can delay or derail the consideration of your application.
- Check the vacancy list on the Transylvania County Schools website regularly. In general, vacancies appear on the website first, before making an appearance in other media.
- Email the designated point of contact for a specific vacancy that interests you if you have specific questions about the position. Email is the preferred method of contact.
- Attend regional Job Fairs or other events to introduce yourself, to make personal contact with district supervisors, and to learn more about employment opportunities with the school district.
- All full-time, permanent teacher assistants and custodians hired on or after September 1, 2004 must hold bus driver certification within 90 days of employment.
- To be eligible for hiring, teacher assistants must hold a minimum of an Associates Degree from an accredited college/community college/university.
- All applications for employment must be filed online. Prospective employees should submit an application for employment. Current employees of the school district who wish to be considered for a voluntary transfer of assignment into a vacant position should complete and submit an internal application/transfer form.
- Unless otherwise noted in specific vacancy announcements, all positions are open until filled. Applicants for employment should carefully note application deadlines where they are indicated. Application materials received after posted application deadlines will not be included in the screening process for advertised openings.
- In the spring of 2011, the UNC Center for School Leadership Development applied for a Transition to Teaching grant through the US Department of Education to fund a new program designed to recruit, prepare, support, and license recent non-education major college graduates and mid-career professionals to teach high-need subjects in high-need schools in North Carolina. The program, North Carolina Innovative Statewide Program to Improve the Recruitment of Educators (NC INSPIRE), was awarded a five year grant (award # U350B110012) in September of 2011. The first cohort of new teachers will be recruited for the 2012-2013 school year. As a proud partner of the UNC Center for School Leadership Development in this initiative, Transylvania County Schools invites you to learn more about NC INSPIRE by visiting the program website.
- Job descriptions for school-based positions (from the NC Department of Public Instruction)