When you volunteer in our schools, you will join forces with concerned and dedicated people who donate their time for the benefit of students, teachers, and the community. This contribution is highly beneficial to the ongoing success of Transylvania County Schools and all who rely on them. The application process takes place online, and each school is responsible for the training and orientation of its valued volunteers.
The need for volunteers is determined by the unique needs of the school, classroom, teachers and other staff. Volunteers should always work under the supervision and direction of a teacher or other member of the school staff. Communication is the key to effective volunteers. Volunteers provide a vital service that extends the ability of schools to serve the needs of our students. To be effective, volunteers must be aware of all school and county policies that pertain to staff, students, and parents.
WHO MAY SERVE AS A SCHOOL VOLUNTEER?
School volunteers may be parents, community members, or senior citizens. Volunteers may fill a variety of roles in schools, with assignments ranging from one time only to monthly, weekly or daily commitments. They may provide tutorial help, monitor lunchrooms, staff libraries and supervise playgrounds. Volunteers may assist the classroom teacher and the clerical staff. They may answer telephones, type or file. They might share a special skill, occupation, or talent with the students.
If you are not sure whether you need to apply as a Volunteer at a school, or will just be a Visitor, please read the document: "Am I A Visitor Or A Volunteer?" for clarification.
All volunteers MUST have an application on file and be approved by the school principal.
• Availability, dependability, reliability, friendliness and flexibility.
• Awareness of and willingness to follow all school district or state mandated criteria.
• Special talents or abilities that help to enrich the school program.
• Recognition that accepting an assignment is a serious commitment.
• Maintain strict confidentiality regarding students and school personnel.
• A desire and interest in working with children and youth.
• A willingness to learn and to follow directions while working with students.
Transylvania County Schools will perform a background check for all applicants to volunteer in our schools. Visitors are not required to submit to background checks, but will sign in as required at each school.
Level I Volunteers
• Do not volunteer more than one time per week.
• Do not have unsupervised contact with students.
• Level I Volunteers may help with PTO/PTA fundraising activities, testing proctors, athletic concession sales, school carnivals and fairs, field trip chaperones, (does not include overnight field trips) and beautification projects.
Level II Volunteers
• Volunteer more than one time per week.
• Have unsupervised contact with students.
• Must have a clear background check.
• Level II Volunteers may work in the classroom, serve as reading buddies, extracurricular coaches, after hours tutors and overnight field trip chaperones.
• Must complete volunteer training.
Applicants will complete a disclosure form authorizing a background check during the application process. Visit our Board Policy Manual page to learn more about the Board of Education Policy regarding Volunteers in Schools.
Applicants are required to submit to this background check to participate as either Level I or Level II Volunteers in Transylvania County Schools. For more information on the Volunteer Program, visit any school or contact Community Relations:
Call (828) 885-7379 or send us an email.